Jason is an ordained minister with the Baptist Union of Victoria and the Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New Zealand, and teaches in the area of systematic theology at Whitley College. He previously served as a pastor in Baptist and Uniting churches, as a lecturer at the Koh Lo Traw Theological College (Thailand), as a lecturer and Dean of the Knox Centre for Ministry and Leadership in New Zealand, and as Chair of the Church and Society Working Group for the World Communion of Reformed Churches. He is the author of Hallowed be Thy Name: The Sanctification of All in the Soteriology of P.T. Forsyth (T&T Clark, 2013), and the editor of Descending on Humanity and Intervening in History: Notes from the Pulpit Ministry of P.T. Forsyth (Pickwick Publications, 2013), and Tikkun Olam – To Mend the World: A Confluence of Theology and the Arts (Pickwick Publications, 2014). He is currently writing books on P.T. Forsyth, on a theology of death, as well as editing the T&T Clark Companion to the Doctrine of Creation.
- PhD, University of St Andrews, Scotland. Thesis: ‘Hallowed Be Thy Name: The Sanctification of All in the Soteriology of P.T. Forsyth’.
- ADipMin, Melbourne College of Divinity, Australia.
- BTheol, Melbourne College of Divinity, Australia.
- BEd, University of Melbourne, Australia.
- ‘Reformation and Secularity’. Journal of Reformed Theology 12, no. 1 (2018), 3–21.
- ‘Habits as Signs: Some Reflections on the Ethical Shape of Christian Community’. International Journal of Practical Theology 21, no. 1 (2017), 27–41.
- ‘Ethnicity, Social Identity, and the Transposable Body of Christ’. Mission Studies 34, no. 2 (2017), 220–45.
- ‘Euthanasia: Some Theological Considerations for Living Responsibly’. Pacifica 29, no. 3 (2016), 221–43.
- ‘The Catholicity of Time in the Work of George Mackay Brown’. Pacifica 29, no. 1 (2016), 22–44.
Units Currently Teaching:
- Beginning Theological Studies (Undergrad and Postgrad)
- Being Human (Undergrad and Postgrad)
- Theology and the Arts (with Anne Mallaby) (Undergrad and Postgrad)
- Capitalism and the Kingdom of God (Undergrad and Postgrad)
- Church: The Quest for Christian Community (Undergrad and Postgrad)
- Death (Undergrad and Postgrad)
- John Calvin: Thought and Legacy (Undergrad and Postgrad)
- Suffering, Theodicy, and Faith (Undergrad and Postgrad)
- Theology, Poetry, and Imagination (Undergrad and Postgrad)
- Who is Jesus? (Undergrad and Postgrad)
Research Areas/ Preferred Areas of Supervision:
- Theological Anthropology
- Theology and the Arts
- Theological Ethics
- Public Theology
- Reformed Traditions
- P.T. Forsyth
- General areas of Christian thought, especially the doctrines of God and of creation