Students must qualify for the BUV Emerge program before they are able to enrol in this unit
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Articulate various ways to identify and develop leaders.
- Describe ways of mobilizing volunteers and building effective teams.
- Assess stressors and strategies for working in teams and managing conflict.
- Employ principles for leading change.
- One executive summary of a leadership book (500 words) (10%)
- One workshop paper on a chosen topic (1,500 words) (45%)
- One reflection (1,500 words) (45%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Breen, Mike. Building a Discipleship Culture. USA: 3DM Publishing, 2016.
- Kubiecek, Jeremie, and Steve Cockram. 5 Voices: How to Communicate Effectively with Everyone You Lead. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2016.
- Lencioni, Patrick. The Five Dysfunctions of a Team. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Boss, 2002.
- Maxwell, John. Developing the Leaders around you. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson, 1995.
- Parker, Priya. The Art of Gathering: How We Meet and Why It Matters. London: Penguin, 2018.
- Scott, Susan. Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at work and in life, one conversation at a time. London: Piatkus, 2017.
- Sinek, Simon. Leaders Eat Last: Why Some Teams Pull Together and Others Don’t. London: Penguin, 2019.
- Stevens, Mike. The Glue: Relationship as the Connection for Effective Ministry Gulfview Heights, SA: Mike B. Stevens, 2017.