Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the development of leadership and organizational philosophy, theory and practices, and the relationship between each;
- Apply insights from leadership and organizational philosophy to leadership practice;
- Analyse the differences in approach between western and indigenous ways of leadership with reference to diverse ways of knowing and being;
- Review cases of successful and unsuccessful leadership in the light of theory and literature;
- Adapt successful leadership models and promising practices to plan for leadership in particular contexts.
- Critical Review (1,000 words) (20%)
- Oral Presentation (1,000 words) (20%)
- Report (1,000 words) (20%)
- Essay (4,000 words) (40%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Boleman, L. G. & Deal, T. E. Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice and Leadership. San Francisco, CA: Jossey Bass., 2008
- Fullan, M. Leading in a Culture of Change. San Francisco, CA: Jossey Bass, 2007.
- Havea, Jione, ed. Indigenous Australia and the Unfinished Business of Theology: Cross-cultural Engagement. Springer, 2014.
- Hunt, Janet, Diane Smith, Stephanie Garling, and Will Sanders, eds. Contested governance: culture, power and institutions in Indigenous Australia. Vol. 29. ANU E Press, 2008.
- Jenkins, Philip. The next Christendom: The coming of global Christianity. OUP USA, 2011.
- Kenny, Carolyn, and Tina Ngaroimata Fraser, eds. Living Indigenous leadership: Native narratives on building strong communities. UBC Press, 2012.
- Kwok, Pui-lan, ed. Hope abundant: Third world and indigenous women’s theology. Orbis Books, 2010.
- Northouse, P. G. Leadership: Theory and Practice (7th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc., 2015.
- Voyageur, C., Brearley, L., & Calliou, B. (Eds.) (2nd ed.). Restorying Indigenous Leadership: Wise Practices in Community Development. Banff, AB: Banff Centre Press, 2015.
- Miller, J. R. Skyscrapers hide the heavens: A history of Indian-white relations in Canada (3rd ed). Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2000.