Pastoral Theology and Ministry (DP)
Theology: Mission and Ministry (D)
Camp Wilkin, Anglesea
Intensive 2021: 5 days in February
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Develop and practice a variety of pastoral helping skills that will assist them as they seek to work with young people.
- Write and present verbatim reports and case studies.
- Show a biblical and critical awareness of key issues related to pastoral themes, such as family systems, coping with grief and loss, and conflict management.
- Outline issues that impinge upon a pastoral carer, including setting and maintaining boundaries, handling conflict and having healthy ministry practice.
- Reflective verbatim (750 words) (25%)
- Case study (750 words) (25%)
- Thematic essay (1,500 words) (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Augsberger, David. Anger and Assertiveness in Pastoral Care. Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1979
- Malony, H.N. and Augsburger, D. Christian Counseling: An Introduction. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2007
- Palmer, Parker. Let your life speak: Listening for the voice of vocation. San Francisco: Jossey Bass, 2000
- Peterson, Eugene. Under the unpredictable plant: An exploration in vocational holiness. Grand Rapids: Wm B. Eerdmans, 1994
- Rohr, R. Everything belongs New York: Crossroads, 1999
- Schneider Corey, Marianne and Gerald Corey. Becoming a helper. 4th edn, Pacific Grove: Brooks/ Cole, 2003
- Worthington, Everett L. When someone asks for help: A practical guide to counseling, Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1982