Originally from East Asia, Siu Fung has been in Australia since the late 1980s. He worked in IT for years before joining the pastoral team of a church in Melbourne, where he provided pastoral care and leadership development for about a dozen small groups and their leaders. He also founded the intercultural ministry in the church.
Siu Fung then worked in the advocacy team of an aid and development organisation for almost seven years. He has a heart for the poor and oppressed. His upbringing in a low-income urban area in East Asia has a profound impact on his life. The place he grew up is still one of the poorest districts in that city and many are still struggling to make ends meet.
He was a visiting lecturer at two theological colleges before teaching at Whitley. He loves the Scripture, for it has been an essential part of his life ever since he came to faith in Christ as a teenager. He loves discussing the implications of the gospel with students from different social locations and cultural settings. Siu Fung attended Anglican, Pentecostal and independent churches, but has been a member of Baptist churches for almost two decades.
- PhD, Whitley College, University of Divinity (Thesis: “Suffering in Romans”)
- MPhil in Theological Studies, Trinity College, University of Bristol
- BA in Biblical Studies, Harvest Bible College
- MSc Transport Planning and Engineering, University of Leeds
- BSc (Hons) Computational Science and Economics, University of Leeds
- “Practise Love and Follow Christ: The Profound Relevance of Romans to Holistic Mission.” Transformation 29 (2012) 62–72.
- “Participating in God’s Purpose by Following the Cruciform Pattern of Christ: The Use of Psalm 69:9b in Romans 15:3.” Journal for the Study of Paul and his Letters 5.1 (2015) 1–20.
- Suffering in Romans. Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2015.
- Suffering in Paul (as editor and contributor; Eugene, OR: Pickwick; forthcoming)
- “Reading Romans in a Globalised and Increasingly Urban World.” Mission Studies (forthcoming)
Units Currently Teaching:
- Romans: Suffering and Justice (Undergrad and Postgrad)
- The Spirit and the People of God (Undergrad and Postgrad)
- Paul, the Cross-shaped Church and its Mission (Undergrad and Postgrad)
- Reading Scripture Interculturally (with Ian Dicks and Mark Brett) (Undergrad and Postgrad)
- Galatians: Faith and Love-centred Community
- Engaging the Bible (Diploma)
- Romans and Galatians (Diploma)
- The Spirit and the Church (Diploma) (last offered in 2018)
- Mission and Culture in the New Testament
- Pauline Studies
- New Testament Studies
- Intercultural studies