Unit offered alternatively as: AL2010W
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Explain elements of Hebrew grammar, syntax and vocabulary.
- Translate and exegete selected passages from the book of Ruth.
- Work from the Hebrew text by utilising aids for translation and exegesis including: lexicons, concordances, parsing guides and commentaries.
- Evaluate exegetical methods for studying the book of Ruth including: textual criticism, historical dating, source criticism, and, particularly, literary criticism.
- Outline elements of the theology of the book of Ruth.
- Weekly tests (equivalent to 1,500 words) (30%)
- One exegetical paper (1,500 words) (30%)
- One two hour examination (40%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Alter, Robert. The Art of Biblical Narrative. New York: Basic Books, 1981.
- Beattie, Derek R. G. Jewish Exegesis of the Book of Ruth. Sheffield: JSOT Press, 1977.
- Brotzman, Ellis R. Old Testament Textual Criticism. Grand Rapids: Baker, 1999.
- Brown, Francis, S, R, Driver and Charles A. Briggs. A Hebrew and English Lexicon of the Old Testament. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1906.
- Bush, Frederic W. Ruth/Esther. Dallas: Word, 1996.
- Campbell, Edward F. Ruth. Garden City: Doubleday, 1975.
- Clines, David J. A. (ed.). The Dictionary of Classical Hebrew. (2 vols) Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 1993, 1995.
- Holladay, William L. A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament. Leiden: E J Brill, 1971; Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans, 1972.
- Hubbard, Robert L. Jr. The Book of Ruth. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans, 1988.
- LaCocque, Andre. The Feminine Unconventional. Minneapolis: Fortress, 1990.
- Sakenfeld, Katherine D. Ruth. Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 1999.
- Sasson, Jack M. Ruth: A new translation with a philological commentary and a formalist – folklorist interpretation. Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press, 1979.
- Seow, C. L. A Grammar for Biblical Hebrew. Rev. edn. Nashville: Abingdon, 1995.