Upon successful completion of the unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a detailed and comprehensive understanding of Greek grammar and syntax.
- Show evidence of competence in translation.
- Apply an advanced vocabulary and style to translation and exegetical work.
- Identify textual critical issues and demonstrate skills necessary for redactional work with a Greek synopsis.
- Apply translation skills to the exegetical task and the preparation of sermons and Bible studies.
- Describe differences in vocabulary and style between selected New Testament texts.
- Weekly take home exercise sheets (40%)
- Regular in-class tests (30%)
- One two-hour examination (30%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Aland, Barbara et al. The Greek New Testament: Reader’s Edition with Textual Notes. Institute for New Testament Textual Research: Munster, Westphalia, 2010.
- Aland, Kurt. Greek New Testament. Stuttgart: United Bible Society, 4th revised edn, 1993.
- Aland, Kurt et al. The Text of the New Testament. Grand Rapids/Leiden: Eerdmans/E J Brill, 1981, 1987, 1989.
- Bauer-Arndt-Gingrich-Danker. Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament. 3rd edn, Chicago: University of Chicago, 2000.
- Brooks, James and C Winbery. Syntax of New Testament Greek. Washington, DC: University Press of America, 1979.
- Duff, Jeremy. The Elements of New Testament Greek. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 3rd edn, 2005.
- Elliott, J K and I Moir. Manuscripts and the Text of the New Testament. Edinburgh: T & T Clark, 1995.
- Jay, Eric G. New Testament Greek. London: SPCK, 1961.
- Metzger, Bruce M. The Text of the New Testament. New York: Oxford University Press, 1992.
- ————. A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament. London: United Bible Societies, 4th revised edn, 1994.
- Mounce, William D. Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, 2009.
- Omanson, Roger L. A Textual Guide to the Greek New Testament. German Bible Society, Stuttgart, 2006.
- Porter, Stanley E. Idioms of the Greek New Testament. 2nd edn, Sheffield University Press, 1994.