Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Explain the basic elements of the grammar and vocabulary of biblical Hebrew
- Use lexical aids and language resources in translating Hebrew texts
- Translate simple texts from the Hebrew Bible
- Weekly tests (equivalent to 1,500 words) (50%)
- Final examination – 2 hours (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Kelley, Page H. Biblical Hebrew: an Introductory Grammar. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1992.
- Kelley, P. H., Terry L. Burden and Timothy G. Crawford. A Handbook to Biblical Hebrew: an Introductory Grammar. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1994.
- Brown, Frances, S. R. Driver and Charles A. Briggs. A Hebrew and English Lexicon of the Old Testament. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1904
- Clines, David J. A. (ed.). The Dictionary of Classical Hebrew. (2 vols) Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 1993.
- Holloday, William L. A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament. Leiden: E J Brill, 1971.