Available to postgraduate students as a Supervised Reading Unit
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Theologically and critically reflect on the engagement of creativity in spirituality in light of historic and contemporary frameworks;
- Appraise particular expressions of creativity in light of relevant spiritual and creative theory;
- Cultivate their own practices informed by relevant spiritual and creative disciplines and theory;
- Evaluate their own creative involvement as an expression of their spirituality.
- Three 250-word journal entries of reflections (30%)
- One theological reflection paper (750 words) (30%)
- One creative work plus explanatory essay (equivalent to 2,000 words) (40%)
- Begbie, Jeremy. Resounding Truth: Christian Wisdom in the World of Music. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic. 2007.
- Benson, Bruce. Liturgy as a Way of Life: Embodying the Arts in Christian Worship (The Church and Postmodern Culture). Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic. 2013.
- Brand, Hilary, and Adrienne Chaplin. Art & Soul: Signposts for Christians in the Arts. 2nd ed. Carlisle: InterVarsity Press, 2001.
- Crouch, Andy. Culture Making: Recovering Our Creative Calling. IVP Books. 2013.
- L’Engle, Madeleine. Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art. Colorado Springs: Waterbrook Press. 2001.
- McManus, Erwin Raphael. The Artisan Soul. New York: HarperOne, 2014.
- Makota, F. Refractions: A Journey of Faith, Art and Culture. NavPress. 2009.
- Ryken, Philip G. Art for God’s Sake: A Call to Recover the Arts. Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R Publishing, 2006.
- Taylor, D (ed). For the Beauty of the Church: Casting a Vision for the Arts. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2010.
- Tommy, M. Unlocking the Heart of the Artist: A Practical Guide to Fulfilling Your Creative Call as an Artist in the Kingdom. CreateSpace Independent, 2011.
Set texts recommended for purchase:
- Cameron, Julia. The Artist’s Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity. [10th anniversary ed.] New York: J.P. Tarcher/Putnam, 2002.
- Gilbert, Elizabeth. Big Magic. London: Bloomsbury, 2015.