Unit offered alternatively as DP9009W
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Identify and analyse the respective contributions of theology and the arts to each other’s assumptions and methods.
- Describe a range of responses to how theologians and artists have understood each other’s vocations.
- Articulate a coherent theological statement on the relationship between theology and the arts.
- Exhibit some independent and critical responses to both a selection of artworks and to the conversations in which artists and theologians are engaged.
- Propose and evaluate a methodology in which the arts and theology together inform both faith and communal identity.
- Seminar paper (1,000 words total) (20%)
- Journal of critical reflections (1,500 words) (30%)
- Essay (3,500 words) (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Begbie, Jeremy, ed. Beholding the Glory: Incarnation through the Arts. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2000.
- Berger, John. Ways of Seeing. London: British Broadcastng Corporation/Penguin Books, 1977.
- Dyrness, William A. Visual Faith: Art, Theology, and Worship in Dialogue. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2001.
- Farley, Edward. Faith and Beauty: A Theological Aesthetic. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2001.
- Goroncy, Jason A., ed. Tikkun Olam – To Mend the World: A Confluence of Theology and the Arts. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Publications, 2014.
- Hart, Trevor A. Making Good: Creation, Creativity and Artistry. Waco, TX: Baylor University Press, 2014.
- Jensen, Robin. The Substance Of Things Seen: Art, Faith and the Christian Community. Calvin Institute of Christian Worship Liturgical Studies. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2004.
- Kidd, Richard, and Graham Sparkes. God and the Art of Seeing: Visual Resources for a Journey of Faith. Regent’s Study Guides. Macon, GA/Oxford: Smyth & Helwys/Regent’s Park College, 2003.
- Pattison, George. Art, Modernity and Faith. London: SCM Press, 1988.
- Rookmaaker, Hans R. Modern Art and the Death of a Culture. 2nd ed. Wheaton: Crossway Books, 1994.
- Viladesau, Richard. Theology and the Arts: Encountering God through Music, Art, and Rhetoric. New York: Paulist Press, 2000.
- Williams, Rowan. Grace and Necessity: Reflections on Art and Love. Harrisburg: Morehouse, 2005.
- Wolterstorff, Nicholas P. Art in Action: Towards a Christian Aesthetic. Carlisle: Solway, 1997.