Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Examine and evaluate their personal approach to exploring the inner spiritual landscape.
- Demonstrate both an understanding and integration of Parker Palmer’s approach to the spiritual life.
- Establish and design a contemplative circle.
- Lead a contemplative group.
- Integrate personal spiritual experience with ancient and contemporary contemplative knowledge through the group process.
- One report on a Contemplative Circle (2,000 words) (25%)
- One tutorial paper (2,000 words) (25%)
- One essay (4,000 words) (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue*
- Belden, Lane. The Solace of Fierce Landscapes: Exploring Desert and Mountain Spirituality. New York: Oxford University Press, 1998.
- May, Gerald G.. Pilgrimage Home: The Conduct of Contemplative Practice in Groups. New York: Paulist Press, 1979.
- O’Donohue, John. Benedictus: A Book of Blessings. London: Bantam Press, 2007.*
- Palmer, Parker J. A Hidden Wholeness: The Journey Toward an Undivided Life. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2004.*
- _______. Healing the Heat of Democracy: The Courage to Create a Politics Worthy of the Human Spirit. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2011.
- _______. The Active Life: A Spirituality of Work, Creativity and Caring. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 1990.*
- _______. The Promise of Paradox: A Celebration of Contradictions in the Christian Life. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bas, 2008.
- _______. The Courage to Teach: Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher’s Life. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2007.
- _______. Community, Knowing and Spirituality in Education www.infed.org/thinkers/palmer.htm
- Rohr, Richard. The Naked Now: Learning to See as the Mystics See. New York: The Crossroad Publishing Co. 2009.
- Vennard, Jane E. Be Still: Designing and Leading Contemplative Retreats. Washington: Alban Institute, 2000.
- Whyte, David. Where Many Rivers Meet. Washington: Many Rivers Press, 2004.
Theology: Mission and Ministry (D)
Hosted by WellSpring Centre, Ashburton view location >
Intensive: 6 days, including 2 day retreat