Each candidate must also register directly with the WellSpring centre for this unit.
Thursdays: 7 mornings and 2 one-day retreats
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- articulate an historical framework for the development of contemplation through Christian history from the early Church to the current era;
- describe the discipline of contemplation and its relationship to other spiritual practices such as meditation, prayer and intercession;
- critically analyse the unique aspects of the various forms of contemplation;
- evaluate their own spiritual practices as they relate to contemplation; and
- describe the relevance of contemplative practices to engagement with the world and diverse contexts and cultures of ministry.
- One book review (2,000 words) (25%)
- One essay (6,000 words) (75%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Bachelard, S. Experiencing God in a Time of Crisis. Miami, Fl: Convivium, 2012.
- Benner, David G. Spirituality and the Awakening Self: The Sacred Journey of Transformation. Grand Rapids, MI: Brazos Press, 2012.
- Bourgeault, Cynthia. The Heart of Centering Prayer: Nondual Christianity in Theory and Practice. Boulder: Shambhala, 2016.
- Danaher, James P. Contemplative Prayer: A Theology for the Twenty-First Century. Eugene, OR.: Cascade Books, 2011.
- Keating, Thomas. Open Mind, Open Heart: The Contemplative Dimension of the Gospel. New York: Continuum, 2012.
- ————. Reflections on the Unknowable. New York: Lantern Books, 2014.
- Laird, M. S. A Sunlit Absence: Silence, Awareness, and Contemplation. New York: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- May, G. G. Will and Spirit: A Contemplative Psychology. New York: HarperOne, 2006.
- Pitchford, S. The Sacred Gaze: Contemplation and the Healing of the Self, 2014.
- Underhill, Evelyn. Practical Mysticism: A Little Book for Normal People. [England]: Parchment Books, 2011.
- ————. Mysticism: A Study in the Nature and Development of Man’s Spiritual Consciousness. S.l.: CreateSpace, 2015.