Each candidate is required to complete a WellSpring registration form prior to enrolling in this unit.
Note: All 2020 places are now full
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an informed and critical appreciation of contemplation
- Articulate an understanding of various experiences of contemplation.
- Assess models of prayer, listening and action that relate to everyday life experience.
- Compare and contrast various approaches to contemplative practices as they relate to vocational engagement.
- Systematically evaluate the lectio divina approach to contemplative practice.
- Creatively apply the principles of contemplative practice to discernment processes in life decisions.
- One essay or ministry project (3,500 words) (50%)
- One field-trip report (2,000 words) (30%)
- One journal (2,500 words) (20%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Ahlgren, G. Entering Teresa of Avila’s Interior Castle, New York: Paulist Press, 2005.
- De Mello, A. Awareness, London: Harper Collins, 1990.
- Delio, I. The Humility of God: a Franciscan Perspective, Cincinatti: St Anthony’s Messenger Press, 2005.
- Edwards, D. How God Acts: Creation, Redemption and Special Divine Action, Minneapolis: Fortress, 2010.
- Heschel, A J. The Sabbath, New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2005.
- Holt, Simon Carey. God Next Door: Spirituality & Mission in the Neighbourhood. Melbourne: Acorn Press, 2007.
- Laird M S. Into the Silent Land: A Guide to the Christian Practice of Contemplation. New York: Oxford Press, 2006.
- Palmer, Parker J. Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1999.
- ––––. A Hidden Wholeness: The Journey Toward An Undivided Life. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2004.
- Pitchford, S. The Sacred Gaze: Contemplation and the Healing of the Self. Collegeville, Minnesota: Liturgical Press, 2014.
- Rohr, R. The Naked Now: Learning to See as the Mystics See. Mulgrave: John Garratt, 2009.
- Tacey, D. The Spirituality Revolution: The Emergence of Contemporary Spirituality. Sydney: Harper Collins, 2003
- Yaconelli, M. Contemplative Youth Ministry: Practicing the Presence of Jesus, Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2006.
- ––––. Growing Souls: Experiments in Contemplative Youth Ministry. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2007.