Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Articulate a personal ministry identity.
- Describe and explore the relationship between identity and a personal sense of vocation, giftedness and service.
- Identify and analyse critical elements that enhance or restrict their spiritual growth.
- Demonstrate the use of various resources and disciplines in the support and sustenance of their spiritual life for ongoing ministry.
- Formulate and explain the interrelationship between the contemplative and the practical dimensions of ministry.
- Demonstrate a capacity to integrate the disciplines of biblical studies, practical and systematic theology
- Evaluate the relevance of their theological learning to their lived experience
- One book report (1,500 words) (20%)
- One reflective summary of journal (1,500 words) (30%)
- One essay (3,000 words) (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Bieber, Nancy L. Decision Making and Spiritual Discernment: The Sacred Art of Finding Your Way. Woodstock: Skylight Paths Publishing, 2010.
- Ford, David F. The Shape of Living: Spiritual Directions for Everyday Life. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, 2001.
- Geoffrion, Timothy C. The Spirit-Led Leader: Nine Leadership Practices and Soul Principles. Herndon, Virginia: The Alban Institute 2005.
- Herrington, Jim, R. Robert Creech, and Trisha Taylor. The Leader’s Journey: Accepting the Call to Personal and Congregational Transformation. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2003.
- Hinson, E. Glenn. Spiritual Preparation for Christian Leadership. Nashville: Upper Room Books, 1999.
- Jordan, Merle R. Reclaiming Your Story: Family History and Spiritual Growth. Louiseville: Westminster John Knox Press, 1999.
- Marcuson, Margaret J. Leaders Who Last: Sustaining Yourself and Your Ministry. New York: Seabury Books, 2009.
- Mulholland, M. Robert. The Deeper Journey: Discovering Your True Self. Downers Grove, Illinios: IVP Books, 2006.
- Nouwen, Henri. Spiritual Formation: Following the Movements of the Spirit. New York: HarperOne, 2010.
- Scazzero, Peter. Emotionally Healthy Spirituality. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2006.