Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the code of ethics for spiritual directors
- Critically reflect on the basic theological understanding of faith and doubt, revelation, conversion, images of God, and personal transformation for spiritual direction practice
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the stages of faith and how they relate to their experience of people participating in spiritual direction
- Identify and analyse a variety of contextual issues that impact on the practice of spiritual direction
- Critically reflect on the experience of God in their lives and the lives of those who participate in spiritual direction.
- One essay (4,000 words) (40%)
- One book review (2,000 words) (15%)
- One reflection journal (2,000 words) (15%)
- Ten verbatim reports – 400 words each (4,000 words) (30%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Carretto, C., I Sought and I Found: My Experience of God and of the Church. Maryknoll, N.Y.: Orbis Books, 1984.
- Edwards, D., How God Acts: Creation, Redemption, and Special Divine Action. Minneapolis [Minn.]: Fortress Press, 2010
- Fowler, J., Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development and the Quest for Meaning, New York: Harper Collins Publishers, 1995.
- ————, Becoming Adult, Becoming Christian, revised edn, San Francisco: Jossey Bass, 2000.
- Hagberg, J. and R. A. Guelich, The Critical Journey: Stages in the Life of Faith. Dallas: Word Pub., 1989.
- Liebert, E., Changing Life Patterns, St Louis: Chalice Press, 2000.
- ————, The Way of Discernment: Spiritual Practices for Decision Making. Louisville, Ky.: Westminster John Knox Press, 2008.
- Ruffing, J., Spiritual Direction: Beyond the Beginnings. New York: Paulist Press, 2000.