Additional asynchronous online component
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of terminologies, theoretical foundations, and methodologies that are of relevance for human research.
- Critically review and synthesise scholarly literature relevant to research subjects and their related research methods.
- Critically evaluate research methodologies and their alignment with human research objectives.
- Demonstrate research project design skills that integrate a research question, research methodology, and research method(s), within a coherent thesis structure.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the nature, purpose, ethical responsibilities, and limitations of research.
- Understand the importance of, and demonstrate the skills required for, successful submission to a Human Research Ethics Committee.
- Critical review of a human research method (1,500 words) (20%)
- Evaluation of a human research method (2,500 words) (30%)
- Human research proposal (3,500 words) (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Barry, Ralph. The Research Project: How to Write It. 5th Edition. New York: Routledge, 2004.
- Bryman, A. Social Research Methods. 5th Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Cameron, H., and Catherine Duce. Researching Practice in Ministry and Mission: A Companion. London: SCM Press, 2013.
- Charmaz, K. Constructing Grounded Theory. 2nd Edition. London: SAGE Publications, 2014.
- Crotty, M. The Foundations of Social Research. London: SAGE Publications, 2007.
- Denzin, N. The Sage Handbook of Qualitative Research. 5th Edition. London: Sage Publications, 2018.
- Fink, A. Conducting Research Literature Reviews: From the Internet to the Paper. 3rd Edition. London: SAGE Publications, 2010.
- Gray, D. Doing Research in the Real World. 4th Edition. London: Sage Publications, 2018.
- Osmer, R. Practical Theology: An Introduction. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2008.
- Swinton, J., and Mowat, H. Practical Theology and Qualitative Research. 2nd Edition. London: SCM Press, 2016.