Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Articulate a multicultural vision for the church.
- Identify several models for the local multicultural church.
- Outline the major challenges facing migrant ethnic churches.
- Demonstrate awareness of cross-cultural issues in ministry and mission.
- Level 3: Identify and critically evaluate some constructive responses to the issues and challenges identified in 3 and 4 above.
- One tutorial paper (1,000 words) (20%)
- One research project (1,500 words) (30%)
- One essay (Level 2: 2,000 words; Level 3: 2500 words) (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- DeYmaz, Mark. Building a healthy multi-ethnic church: Mandate, commitments, and practices of a diverse congregation. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2007.
- Foster, Charles R. Embracing diversity: Leadership in multicultural congregations. New York: The Alban Institute, 1997.
- Hughes, Philip and Sharon Bond. A handbook for cross-cultural ministry. Adelaide: Openbook, 2005.
- Law, Eric H.F. The wolf shall dwell with the lamb: A spirituality for leadership in a multicultural community. St Louis, MO: Chalice Press, 1993.
- Lopez, Mark. The origins of multiculturalism in Australian politics, 1945-1975. Carlton Sth, Vic: Melbourne University Press, 2000.
- Rhoads, David M. The challenge of diversity: The witness of Paul and the Gospels. Minneapolis: Fortress, 1996.
- Richmond, Helen and Myong Duk Yang, eds. Crossing Borders: Shaping faith, ministry and identity in multicultural Australia. Sydney: Multicultural and Cross-Cultural Ministry, The National Assembly of the Uniting Church in Australia, 2006.
- Russell, Letty M. Just hospitality: God’s welcome in a world of difference. Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2009.
- Smith, David I. Learning from the stranger: Christian faith and cultural diversity. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2009.
- Woo, Rodney M. The color of church: The biblical and practical paradigm for multiracial churches. Nashville: B & H Academic, 2009.
DM2007W or DM3007W
Undergraduate (Level 2 or Level 3)
Theology: Mission and Ministry (D)
Whitley College view location >
Marc Chan, Meewon Yang & Ian Dicks