Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Formulate a basic theology of preaching.
- Articulate elementary principles of public speech communication theory and adult pedagogy.
- Demonstrate a growing competence in preparing, delivering and evaluating sermons.
- Discuss an appropriate treatment of biblical texts, images, narratives, structures, and delivery in relation to preaching.
- Contribute substantively to the learning outcomes of other students through collaboration and feedback.
- Name at least one potential continuing homiletic mentor and articulate a continuing strategy for continuing development.
- Two sermon presentations (2,500 words) (40%)
- Two feedback papers (1,500 words) (30%)
- Sermon collaboration exercises (2,000 words) (30%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Carrell, Lori J. Preaching That Matters: Reflective Practices for Transforming Sermons. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2013.
- Childers, Jana (ed.). Birthing the Sermon: Women Preachers on the Creative Process. St Louis: Chalice Press, 2001.
- Clader, Linda L. Voicing the Vision: Imagination and Prophetic Preaching. Harrisburg PA: Morehouse Publishing, 2003.
- Craddock, Fred B. Preaching. Burlington Ont: Welch Publishing Company Inc, 1985.
- Florence, Anna Carter. Preaching as Testimony. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2007.
- Johnson, Patrick W. T. The Mission of Preaching: Equipping the Community for Faithful Witness. Downers Grove Il: IVP Academic, 2015.
- Kim, Eunjoo Mary. Preaching in an Age of Globalization. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2010.
- Long, Thomas G. The Witness of Preaching. 2nd ed. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2005.
- Lucas, Stephen E. The Art of Public Speaking. 12th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 2014.
- Quicke, Michael J. 360 Degree Preaching: Hearing, Speaking and Living the Word. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2003.
- Robinson, Haddon and Craig Brown Larson. The Art and Craft of Biblical Preaching: A Comprehensive Resource for Today’s Communicators. Grand Rapids MI: Zondervan, 2005.
- Stanley, Andy, and Ronald Lane Jones. Communicating for a Change: Seven Keys to Irresistible Communication. Colorado Springs, CO: Multnomah Books, 2006.
- Wilson, Paul Scott. Preaching as Poetry: Beauty, Goodness, and Truth in Every Sermon. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2014.