Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Listen sensitively and critically to their own story of faith
- Examine a theological theme identified within their own life-narrative
- Examine the concept of vocation and ministry vision
- Articulate the contours of practical theology and its major sub-disciplines of ethics, pastoral care, mission and spirituality.
- Three reflection papers building from online forum discussion(500 words each) (30%)
- One theological reflection paper (1,000 words) (30%)
- One essay (1,500 words) (40%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Anderson, Ray S. The Shape of Practical Theology: Empowering Ministry with Theological Praxis. Downers Grove: IVP, 2001.
- Astley, J & Francis, L. Explorations in Practical, Pastoral and Empirical Theology. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2002.
- Bass, Dorothy. Practicing our Faith: a way of Life for a Searching People. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Inc, 1997.
- Brenner, D.C. The gift of being yourself: The sacred call of self-discovery. Downers Growver, Illinois: IVP books, 2004.
- Ellis, C.J. Approaching God: A guide for Worship leaders and worshippers. Norwich, Canterbury press, 2009.
- Kinast, Robert L. Let Ministry Teach: A Guide to Theological Reflection. Collegeville: Liturgical Press, 1996.
- Palmer, Parker J. Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2000.
- Volf, Miroslav, and Dorothy C. Bass, eds. Practicing Theology: Beliefs and Practices in Christian Life. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2002.
- Whipp, M Pastoral Theology. London: SCM, 2013.
- Woolnough, B & Wonsuk Ma. Holistic Mission: God’s plan for God’s people. Eugene OR: Wipf & Stock, 2010