Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Describe the relationship between culture, hermeneutics and praxis.
- Explain the impact of different factors on cultural perspective.
- Analyse the impact of a cultural hermeneutic as it relates to a relevant social issue.
- Class presentation of a social issue relating to a specific context (1,000 words) (30%)
- Conduct an interview with a person in a specific social context (1,000 words) (30%)
- One reflection on a critical issue arising from the students investigation (1,500 words) (40%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Green, Gene L., and Khiok-Khng Yeo, eds. Theologies of Land: Contested Land, Spatial Justice, and Identity. Eugene, OR: Cascade, 2020.
- Green, Gene L., Stephen T Pardue, and Khiok-Khng Yeo, eds. Majority World Theology: Christian Doctrine in Global Context. Cumbria, CA: Langham, 2020.
- Gener, Timoteo D., and Stephen T. Pardue, ed. Asian Christian Theology: Evangelical Perspectives. Cumbria, CA: Langham, 2019.
- Lee, Sang Hyun. From a Liminal Place: An Asian American Theology. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2010.
- Leong, Frederick T.L., Linda Juang, Desiree Baolian Qin, and Hiram E. Fitzgerald, eds. Asian American and Pacific Islander Children and Mental Health. Volume One: Development and Context. Santa Barbra, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2011.
- Louie, Sam. Asian Shame and Addiction: Suffering in Silence, 2013.
- Ngan, Lucille Lok-Sun, and Kwok-bun Chan. The Chinese Face in Australia: Multi-Generational Ethnicity among Australian-Born Chinese. Springer, 2012.
- Park, M. Sydney, Rah, Soong-Chan, and Al Tizon, eds. Honoring the Generations: Learning with Asian North American Congregations. Valley Forge, PA: Judson Press, 2012.
- Rah, Soong-Chan. The Next Evangelicalism: Freeing the Church from Western Cultural Captivity. Downers Grove, IL: IVP, 2009.
- Ramachandra, Vinoth. Sarah’s Laughter: Doubt, Tears, and Christian Hope. Cumbria, CA: Langham, 2020.
- Ringma, Charles, Karen Hollenbeck-Wuest and Athena Gorospe, eds. God at the Borders: Globalization, Migration and Diaspora. OMF, 2015.
- Villanueva, Rico. Lord, I’m Depressed: The Lament Psalms and Depression. OMF: 2020.