Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the frameworks and skills for pastoral supervisory practice;
- Critically consider the structure and theological basis for supervision for ordination candidates.
- Evaluate contexts and experiences of ministry and formation in terms of the ethical and duty of care principles, including the principles of evaluation and feedback in supervision;
- Critically examine the dynamics of power in the supervisory relationship and implement this understanding in providing a safe and ethical pastoral practice of supervision;
- Integrate their theological understanding with their supervision praxis.
- Three case studies (3,000 words) (40%)
- One essay (3,000 words) (40%)
- One seminar paper (1,000 words) (20%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Graham, Elaine, Heather Walton, and Frances Ward. Theological Reflection: Methods. London: SCM Press, 2005.
- Hawkins, Peter, and Robin Shohet. Supervision in the Helping Professions. 2nd ed. Maidenhead: Open University Press, 2000.
- Johnson, Abigail. Shaping Spiritual Leaders: Supervision and formation in Congregations. Herndon, VA: Alban Institute, 2007.
- Kinast, Robert L. Let Ministry Teach: A Guide to Theological Reflection. Collegeville Minnesota: The Liturgical Press, 1996.
- Leach, Jane & Patterson, Michael. Pastoral Supervision: A handbook. London: SCM Press, 2010
- Paver, John E. Theological Reflection and Education for Ministry: The Search for Integration in Theology. Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing, 2006.
- Pohly, Kenneth. Transforming the Rough Places: The Ministry of Supervision. 2nd ed. Franklin, Tennessee: Providence House Publishers, 2001.
- Pyle, William and Mary Alice Seals, eds. Experiencing Ministry Supervision: A Field-Based Approach. Nashville, Tennessee: Broadman and Holman Publishers, 1995.
- Shohet, Robyn.ed. Passionate Supervision. London, Philadelphia: Jessica Kingsley Pub, 2008
- Swift, Christopher, Cobb, Mark, Todd, Andrew. A Handbook of chaplaincy studies: understanding spiritual care in public places. Surrey, England: Ashgate, 2015.
- Thompson, Judith, Stephen Pattison, and Ross Thompson. SCM Study Guide to Theological Reflection. London: SCM Press, 2008.
- Ward, Frances. Lifelong Learning: Theological Education and Supervision. London: SCM Press, 2005.