Unit offered alternatively as CT1010W
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Articulate a theological understanding of human personhood, spirituality, and spiritual formation, particularly as these relate to youth;
- Identify and critically evaluate key factors influencing the content and expressions of youth spirituality;
- Critically appraise a variety of pastoral responses intended to assist young people develop and express their spirituality;
- Formulate a preferred approach to nurturing spirituality in young people.
- One minor essay (750 words) (25%)
- One tutorial paper (750 words) (25%)
- One major essay (2,500 words) (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Balswick, J. O., P. E. King, and K. S. Reimer. The Reciprocating Self: Human Development in Theological Perspective. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2005.
- De Souza, M. and W. Lamb. Children, Adolescents and Spirituality. Adelaide: ATF Press, 2008.
- Dean, K. C., C. Clark, and D. Rahn. Starting Right: Thinking Theologically About Youth Ministry. Grand Rapids: Zondervan/Youth Specialties, 2001.
- Fowler, J. W. Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development and the Quest for Meaning. Blackburn: Collins Dove, 1981.
- Holt, B. Brief History of Christian Spirituality. Oxford: Lion Publishing, 1997.
- Hughes, P. J. Putting Life Together: Findings from Australian Youth Spirituality Research. Fairfield: Fairfield Press, 2007.
- Roehkepartain, E. C., P. E. King, L. Wagener, and P. L. Benson. The Handbook of Spiritual Development in Childhood and Adolescence. London: Sage Publications, 2005.
- Root, A. and K. C. Dean. The Theological Turn in Youth Ministry. Downers Grove: IVP Books, 2011.
- Smith, C. and P. Snell. Souls in Transition: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of Emerging Adults. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Tacey, D. The Spirituality Revolution: The Emergence of Contemporary Spirituality. Sydney: Harper Collins, 2004.
- Ward, G. Unbelievable: Why We Believe and Why We Don’t. New York: IB Tauris, 2014.
- Warren, A. E., R. Lerner, and E. Phelps (eds.). Thriving and Spirituality Among Youth: Research Perspectives and Future Possibilities. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
- Welker, M. (ed.). The Depth of the Human Person: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2014.