Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Describe the Missio Dei derived from biblical sources and historical examples.
- Illustrate key concepts in missiology.
- Utilise historical examples to evaluate a variety of perspectives on mission.
- One book or film review (1,000 words) (30%)
- One interview with an intercultural worker (1,000 words) (30%)
- One reflection upon the missiology of an individual or mission organisation (1,500 words) (40%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Bevans, Stephan, and Roger Schroeder. Constants In Context: A Theology of Mission for Today. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2004.
- Bosch, David J. Transforming Mission: Paradigm Shifts in Theology of Mission. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2011.
- Bryant Myers. Walking with the Poor. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2011.
- Donovan, Vincent J. Christianity Rediscovered. 25th Anniversary Edition, Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2003.
- Jordan, Ivan. Their Way: Indigenous Christianity Amongst the Warlpiri People. 2003.
- Moreau, Scott. Contextualising the Faith: A Holistic Approach. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2018.
- Moreau, Scott. Contextualisation in World Missions: Mapping and Assessing Evangelical Models. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2012.
- Muck, Terry, and Frances Adeney. Christianity Encountering World Religions: The Practice of Mission in the Twenty-first Century. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2009.
- Ott, Craig, and Stephen Strauss. Encountering Theology of Mission: Biblical Foundations, Historical Developments and Contemporary Issues. Grand Rapids, MI: Macmillan, 2010.
- Wright, Christopher J. H. The Mission of God’s People: A Biblical Theology of the Church’s Mission. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2004.