Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Outline and analyse selected aspects of Australian culture;
- Identify and describe points of relevance of the gospel for selected Australian contexts;
- Analyse and critique a variety of approaches to contextual theology with respect to the Australian context;
- Propose approaches to mission which intentionally engage with aspects of the Australian context as an expression of an articulated contextual theology.
- Online forum: Six critical responses to case studies/readings and peer interaction (1,200 words total – 200 words per response) (20%)
- One critical book review (1,500 words) (30%)
- Essay (3,500 words) (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Bevans, Stephen B. Models of Contextual Theology. Rev. ed. Maryknoll: Orbis, 2002.
- Bouma, Gary. Australian Soul: Religion and Spirituality in the Twenty-first Century. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2006.
- Buxton, Graham. Dancing in the dark: The Privilege of Participating in the Ministry of Christ. Carlisle: Paternoster Press, 2001.
- Cronshaw, Darren. Credible Witness: Companions, Prophets, Hosts and Other Australian Mission Models. Springvale, Vic.: Urban Neighbours of Hope, 2006.
- Goosen, Gideon. Australian Theologies: Themes and Methodologies into the Third Millennium. Strathfield, NSW: St Pauls, 2000.
- Habel, Norman C. Reconciliation: Searching for Australia’s Soul. Sydney: HarperCollins, 1999.
- Holmes, David, Kate Hughes and Roberta Julian. Australian Sociology: A Changing Society. Frenchs Forest, NSW: Pearson Education, 2003.
- Holt, Simon Carey, God Next Door: Spirituality and Mission in the Neighbourhood. Brunswick East, Vic: Acorn Press Ltd., 2007
- Hynd, Doug, James Barr and Gordon Preece, eds. Theology in a Third Voice. Adelaide: ATF Press, 2006.
- Jacson, H. R. Australians and the Christian God: An Historical Study, Preston, Vic: Mosaic Press, 2013.
- Jione Havea. Indigenous Australia and the Unfinished Business of Theology: Cross-cultural Engagement. South Yarra : Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- Langmead, Ross, ed. Reimagining God and Mission: Perspectives from Australia. Hindmarsh, SA: ATF Press, 2007.
- Mackay, Hugh. Advance Australia—Where?: How We’ve Changed, Why We’ve Changed, and What Will Happen Next? Sydney: Hachette Australia, 2007.
- McCredden, Lyn. Luminous Moments: The Contemporary Sacred. Hindmarsh, SA: ATF Press, 2010.
- Sutton, Peter. The Politics of Suffering: Indigenous Australian and the End of the Liberal Consensus. Carlton, Vic: Melbourne University Publishing, 2011.