Unit offered alternatively as AR3060W
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- outline the main dimensions of cultural intelligence;
- identify one’s own cultural values and the ways these can impact interaction with the other;
- describe the concept of culture and outline the theological premises for the need for cultural intelligence for Christian life and ministry;
- describe the role of second language capacity and cultural understanding in cultural intelligence;
- employ practices that enhance reflection and mindfulness when engaging people interculturally; and
- analyse attitudes that can impact upon interaction with the other in intercultural contexts.
- Tutorial presentation (1,000 words) (25%)
- Description of your cultural values (1,500 words) (25%)
- Essay (2,500 words) (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Ang, Soon and Van Dyne, Linn. Handbook of Cultural Intelligence: Theory, Measurement, and Applications. London: Routledge, 2015.
- Berardo, K. Deardorff, D. Building Cultural Competence: Innovative Activities and Models. Sterling: Stylus Publishing, 2012.
- Elmer, Duane. Cross-cultural Connections. Downers Grove: Intervarsity Press, 2002.
- ————. Cross-cultural Servanthood: Serving In The World In Christlike Humility. Downers Grove: IVP Books, 2006.
- Hall, Edward. Beyond Culture, New York: Anchor Books, 1989.
- Hofstede, G. Hofstede G.J. and Minkov, M. Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind. 3rd ed., London: McGraw-Hill, 2010.
- Lane, Patty. A Beginner’s Guide To Crossing Cultures: Making Friends In A Multicultural World. Downers Grove: Intervarsity Press, 2002.
- Lingenfelter S. and Mayers M., Ministering Cross-Culturally. 2nd ed., Grand Rapids: Baker, 2003.
- Livermore, David. Cultural Intelligence. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2009.
- ————. Serving with Eyes Wide Open: Doing Short-Term Missions with Cultural Intelligence. Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 2012.
- Lustig, M.,Koester J. and Halualani, R. Intercultural Competence: Interpersonal Communication Across Cultures. New York: Pearson: 7th ed., 2012.