Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Explain important dimensions of the needs of the global marginalised.
- Articulate an integral mission response to such needs and outline the theological convictions that inform such a response.
- Describe strategies for the mobilization of the local church in integral mission.
- Develop an educational resource designed to both inform and motivate the local church in integral mission.
- Book review (1,000 words) (25%)
- Creating an educational resource (1,500 words) (30%)
- Essay (2,000 words) (45%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Fowler, Alan F. Striking a Balance: A Guide to Enhancing the Effectiveness of Non- Governmental Organisations in International Development. London: Earthscan, 1997.
- Grant, Jamie A. and Hughes, Dewi A. (eds). Transforming the World? The Gospel and Social Responsibility. Nottingham: Intervarsity Press, 2009.
- Groody, Daniel G. Globalisation, Spirituality, and Justice: Navigating the Path to Peace. Maryknoll: Orbis, 2007.
- Ife, Jim. Community Development in an Uncertain World: Vision, Analysis and Practice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 2013.
- Maggay, Melba Padilla. Transforming Society. 2nd ed. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2010.
- Myers, Bryant L. Walking with the Poor: Principles and Practices of Transformational Development. 2nd ed. Maryknoll: Orbis, 2014.
- Mitchell, Bob. Faith-Based Development: How Christian Organisations can Make a Difference. Maryknoll: Orbis. 2017.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E. Making Globalization Work. London: W W Norton, 2006.
- Toly, Noah J. & Block, Daniel I (eds). Keeping God’s Earth: The Global Environment in Biblical Perspective. Downers Grove & Nottingham: InterVarsity Press. 2010.
- Wolterstorff, Nicholas P. Journey Toward Justice: Personal Encounters in the Global South. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic. 2013.
- Wright, Christopher J H. The Mission of God’s People: A Biblical Theology of the Church’s Mission. Grand Rapids: Zondervan. 2010.