Unit offered alternatively as: CT3017W
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Identify and evaluate themes and challenges faced by Australia’s churches since white settlement.
- Articulate the ways in which significant Christian individuals have engaged with and responded to these themes and challenges.
- Describe the ongoing influence or impact of these responses upon the church and wider society.
- Discuss critically the implications of the issues and responses considered for Christian identity in the Australian context.
- One tutorial paper (1,500 words) (25%)
- One book review (1,000 words) (25%)
- One essay (2,500 words) (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Atkinson, Alan. The Europeans in Australia: A History (3 vols). Vol.1 Melbourne: Oxford University Press, 1997; Vols 2 and 3. Sydney: UNSW Press, 2014, 2016.
- Breward, Ian. A History of the churches in Australasia. Oxford: OUP, 2001.
- Broome, Richard. Aboriginal Australians: black responses to white dominance, 1788-2001 (4th revised edn). Sydney: Allen and Unwin, 2010
- Cadwallader, Alan, ed. In the land of larks and heroes. Hindmarsh, SA: ATF, 2010.
- Carey, Hilary M. God’s empire: religion and colonialism in the British world. Cambridge: CUP, 2013.
- Costello, Tim. Streets of hope: finding God in St Kilda. Sydney: Allen and Unwin, 1998.
- Frame, Tom. Losing my religion: Unbelief in Australia. Sydney: UNSW Press, 2009.
- Kenny, Robert. The lamb enters the dreaming: Nathaniel Pepper and the ruptured world. Melbourne: Scribe, 2007
- Linder, Robert D. ‘The long tragedy’: Australian Evangelical Christians and the Great War, 1914-1918. Adelaide: Open Book, 2000
- Maddox, Marion. God under Howard: The rise of the Religious Right in Australian politics. Sydney: Allen and Unwin, 2005.
- Manley, Ken R. with B Coe. ‘The grace of goodness’: John Saunders Baptist pastor and activist
Macquarie Park: Greenwood Press, 2014.
- O’Brien, Anne. God’s willing workers: women and religion in Australia. Sydney: UNSW Press, 2005.
- Piggin, Stuart. Spirit, Word and world: Evangelical Christianity in Australia. Melbourne: Acorn, 2012
- Thompson, Roger C. Religion in Australia: a history (2nd edn). Melbourne: Oxford University Press, 2002.