Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- outline a clear process for documenting the history of a local church or Christian organisation;
- identify and use a range of historical sources and tools in the writing of a local history;
- evaluate the relative strengths and limitations of archival, visual, and oral sources;
- assess the impact of social, cultural, and religious factors upon the history of a local church or Christian organisation; and
- critically review a range of local histories and articulate ways in which particular challenges and pitfalls have been addressed.
- One book review (1,000 words) (20%)
- One seminar paper (1,500 words) (30%)
- One project report (2,500 words) (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Bradley, James E. and Richard A. Muller, Church History: An Introduction to Research Methods and Resources. 2nd edn. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2016.
- Curthoys, Ann and Ann McGrath. How to Write History that People Want to Read. Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- Ely, Richard. Mayfield Presbyterian Church, Victoria: Origins, Early Years and Character. West Melbourne: Dissenters Press, 2012.
- Dekar, Paul R. Community of the Transfiguration. Eugene, Or: Cascade Books, 2008.
- Fendley, J. Margaret. A School on a Hill: Strathcona 1924–1984. South Yarra, Vic.: Hyland House, 1986.
- Holden, Colin & Richard Trembath. ‘Divine Discontent’: The Brotherhood of St Laurence: A History. Melbourne: Australian Scholarly Publishing, 2008.
- Howe, Renate and Shurlee Swain. ‘The Challenge of the City’: The Centenary History of Wesley Central Mission 1893-1993. South Melbourne, Vic.: Hyland House, 1993.
- Manley, Ken R. ‘In the Heart of Sydney’: Central Baptist Church 1836–1986, Sydney, Central Baptist Church, 1986.
- Newnham, Lindsay L. ‘This Changing Corner’: A History of the Ivanhoe Baptist Church 1951-1975. Melbourne: Ivanhoe Baptist Church, 1975.
- Newnham, Lindsay L. ‘Writing a Local Church History’. Victorian Baptist Historical Society: Baptist Union of Victoria, c. 1995.
- Emilsen, Susan et al. ‘Pride of Place’: A History of the Pitt Street Congregational Church. Beaconsfield, Vic. Melbourne Publishing Group, c. 2008.
- Otzen, Roslyn. ‘So Great a Cloud of Witnesses’: Ashburton Baptist Church. Melbourne: Ashburton Baptist Church, 2015.
- Powell, Damian X. ‘Memory and Hope’: Strathalan Baptist Home for the Aged. Hawthorn, Vic.: Baptist Social Services, 1995.
- Waterhouse, Catherine. ‘Going Forward in Faith’: A History of Melbourne City Mission. North Fitzroy, Vic.: Melbourne City Mission, 1999.