CH1712W or CH2712W (Online)
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Outline some key aspects of the Christian story in the West from the 16th Century to the present day.
- Identify some of the social, political and cultural factors influencing the development of Christianity.
- Demonstrate basic skills in interpreting selected historical documents; and
- Assess the significance of selected movements and personalities for the church’s history.
- Level 2: Describe the contribution of the study of church history to the development of Christian identity.
- One document study (1,000 words) (20%)
- One half-hour written test (20%)
- Five 100-word forum posts or equivalent (one 15-minute oral exam) (20%)
- One essay (1,500 words) (40%)
- One document study (1,000 words) (25%)
- Five 200-word forum posts (25%)
- One essay (2,000 words) (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Bettenson, Henry (ed.). Documents of the Christian Church. London: Oxford University Press, 1999.
- Blainey, Geoffrey. A Short History of Christianity. Camberwell: Viking, 2011.
- Chadwick, Owen. The Christian Church in the Cold War. London: Penguin, 1992.
- Chidester, David. Christianity: a global history. London: Penguin, 2001.
- Hastings, Adrian (ed.). A World History of Christianity. London, Cassell, 1999.
- Jensen, De Lamar. Reformation Europe: Age of Reform and Revolution. 2nd edn. Lexington: D C Heath & Co, 1992.
- Gonzalez, Justo L. The Story of Christianity, Volume 2. Rev edn. New York: HarperOne, 2010.
- McGrath, Alister. Christian History: An Introduction. New York: Wiley, 2012.
- MacCulloch, D. A History of Christianity. London: Penguin, 2010.
- Matheson, Peter (ed.) Reformation History (A People’s History of Christianity, Volume 5) Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2007.
- Noll, Mark A. Turning Points: Decisive Moments in the History of Christianity. 3rd edn. Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 2012.
- ————. The New Shape of World Christianity. Downers Grove, Illinois: IVP Academic, 2009.
- Shelley, Bruce L. Church History in Plain Language. 4th edn. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2013.