Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- outline key aspects of the Christian story from early to late-medieval times;
- identify some of the social, political, and cultural factors influencing the development of Christianity;
- demonstrate basic skills in interpreting historical documents; and
- assess the significance of selected movements and personalities for the church’s history; and
- Level 2: describe the contribution of the study of church history to the development of Christian identity.
- One document study (1,000 words) (20%)
- One half-hour written test (20%)
- Five 100-word forum posts or equivalent (one 15-minute oral exam) (20%)
- One essay (1,500 words) (40%)
- One document study (1,000 words) (25%)
- Five 200-word forum posts (25%)
- One essay (2,000 words) (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Brox, Norbert. A History of the Early Church. London: SCM, 1994.
- Chadwick, Owen. A History of Christianity. New York: Thomas Dunne, 1995.
- Comby, Jean. How to Read Church History, Volume 1. London: SCM, 1985.
- Frank, Isnard W. A History of the Medieval Church. London: SCM, 1995.
- Gonzalez, Justo L. The Story of Christianity, Volume 1. New York: HarperOne, 2010.
- Guy, Laurie. Introducing Early Christianity. Downers Grove: IVP, 2004.
- Hall, Stuart G. Doctrine and Practice in the Early Church. 2nd edn. London: SPCK, 2005.
- Hamman, Adalbert G. How to Read the Church Fathers. London: SCM, 1993.
- Harries, R and H. Mayr-Harting (eds). Christianity: Two Thousand Years. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001.
- Hinson, E. Glenn. The Early Church: Origins to the Dawn of the Middle Ages. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1996.
- McGrath, Alistair. Christian History: An Introduction. Wiley: New York, 2012.
- Noll, Mark A. Turning Points: Decisive Moments in the History of Christianity. 3rd edn. Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 2012.
- Shelley, Bruce L. Church History in Plain Language. 4th edn. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2013.
- Stevenson, James. Creeds, Councils and Controversies. Rev. edn. London: SPCK, 1989.
- Stevenson, James. A New Eusebius. Rev. edn. London: SPCK, 1987.