Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Describe different ways in which historical people shaped their lives as Christians from the time of the early church to the present.
- Outline a range of historic factors that have influenced the practice of Christianity.
- Demonstrate basic skills in interpreting selected historical sources.
- Assess the impact of selected social, political and cultural factors upon perceptions and practices of the Christian faith.
- Document study (500 words) (10%)
- Tutorial paper (1,000 words) (30%)
- Essay (2,000 words) (60%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Bryan, G. McLeod. Voices in the wilderness: Twentieth Century prophets speak to the new millennium. Macon, Ga: Mercer University Press, 1999.
- Butler Bass, Diana. A people’s history of Christianity. New York: HarperOne, 2009. (recommended for purchase)
- Cox, Harvey. The future of faith. New York: HarperOne, 2009.
- Gonzalez, Justo. The story of Christianity Vols 1 and 2. New York: HarperOne, 2010.
- Tim Grass. Modern church history. London: SCM, 2008.
- MacCulloch, Diarmaid. Christian History: An introduction to the Western tradition. Werrington, UK: Epworth, 2006.
- McLeod, Hugh. The religious crisis of the 1960s. Oxford: OUP, 2007.
- Noll, Mark A. Turning points: decisive moments in the history of Christianity. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Academic, 2012.
- Shelley, Bruce L. Church history in plain language 4th edn. Nashville, Tenn.: Thomas Nelson, 2013.