Unit offered alternatively as: CT0145W
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Identify different ways in which historical people shaped their lives as Christians from the time of the early church to the present;
- Describe the impact of historical movements upon perceptions and practices of the Christian faith;
- Demonstrate basic skills in interpreting selected historical sources.
- One 750 word document study (20%)
- One 750 word tutorial paper (30%)
- One 1,500 word essay (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Bryan, G. McLeod. Voices in the wilderness: Twentieth Century prophets speak to the new millennium. Macon, GA: Mercer University Press, 1999.
- Butler Bass, Diana. A people’s history of Christianity. New York: HarperOne, 2009.
- Cox, Harvey. The Future of faith. New York: HarperOne, 2009.
- Gonzalez, Justo. The story of Christianity Vols 1 and 2. New York: HarperOne, 2010.
- Grass, Tim. Modern church history. London: SCM, 2008.
- MacCulloch, Diarmaid, A history of Christianity. London: Penguin, 2010.
- McLeod, Hugh. The religious crisis of the 1960s. Oxford: OUP, 2007.
- Noll, Mark A. Turning points: decisive moments in the history of Christianity. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Academic, 2012.