This is a Diploma core unit for non-English speaking background students
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Describe the factors leading to and the main tenets of, the Radical Reformation.
- Explain how Baptists developed their theology and practice of leadership and congregational governance.
- Plan a congregational meeting in accordance with Baptist principles – assessment task.
- Articulate the main features of Baptist belief and practice from their earliest beginnings until the present day
- Outline an approach to leadership in congregational conflict.
- Explain and give reasons for the differences among Baptists in various cultural and historical contexts.
- One short paper meeting agenda (500 words) (15%)
- One essay resolving conflict (1000 words) (750 words) (35%)
- One short paper presentation (500 words) (15%)
- One thematic essay (1,000 words) (35%)
Set texts recommended for purchase highlighted in blue*
- Baptist World Alliance, Study and Research Division. We Baptists. Franklin, TN: Providence House, 1999.
- Beasley-Murray, Paul. Radical believers: The Baptist way of being church. Didcot, UK: Baptist Union of Great Britain, 1992.
- Bebbington, David W. Baptists through the centuries: A history of a global people. Waco, TX: Baylor University Press, 2010.
- Brackney, William H. The Baptists. Westport, CT: Praeger, 1994.
- Chatfield, Graeme, ed. Leadership and Baptist Church Governance. Sydney: Morling Press, 2005.
- Deweese, Charles W. An introduction to Baptists. 2nd ed. Atlanta: Baptist History and Heritage Society, 2008.
- Manley, Ken R. Shapers of Our Australian Baptist Identity. Parkville, Vic: Whitley College, 1997.
- Murray, Stuart. The Naked Anabaptist: The Bare Essentials of a Radical Faith. Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 2010.
- Norman, R Stanton. The Baptist Way: Distinctives of a Baptist Church. Nashville: Broadman & Holman, 2005.
- Petras, Michael. Australian Baptists: Past and Present. Eastwood, NSW: Baptist Historical Society of NSW, 1988.