Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Identify and analyse a variety of ways that the Christian tradition has approached the question of our being human.
- Evaluate where theological understandings of human personhood critically intersect with other theological commitments and experiences.
- Articulate a coherent theological response to the question ‘What are human beings?’
- Exhibit independent and critical responses for theological reflection on the question of human personhood.
- Formulate research criteria and methodologies for engaging in questions of concern for theological anthropology.
- One film review (1,500 words) (25%)
- One seminar paper (1,000 words) (25%)
- One essay (3,500 words) (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Anderson, Ray S. On Being Human: Essays in Theological Anthropology. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1982.
- Barth, Karl. Church Dogmatics III.2. Translated by Harold Knight, Geoffrey W. Bromiley, J. K.S. Reid and R. H. Fuller. Edited by Geoffrey W. Bromiley and Thomas F. Torrance. Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1960.
- Buber, Martin. Between Man and Man. Translated by Ronald Gregor-Smith. London/New York: Routledge, 2002.
- Gonzalez, Michelle A. Created in God’s Image: An Introduction to Feminist Theological Anthropology. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2007.
- Grenz, Stanley J. The Social God and the Relational Self: A Trinitarian Theology of the Imago Dei. Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2001.
- Hall, Douglas John. Imaging God: Dominion as Stewardship. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2004.
- Harrison, Nonna Verna. God’s Many-Splendored Image: Theological Anthropology for Christian Formation. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2010.
- John Paul II. The Theology of the Body: Human Love in the Divine Plan. Boston: Pauline Books & Media, 1997.
- Macquarrie, John. In Search of Humanity: A Theological and Philosophical Approach. London: SCM, 1982.
- Moltmann-Wendel, Elisabeth. I Am My Body: New Ways of Embodiment. Translated by John Bowden. London: SCM Press, 1994.
- Murphy, Nancey C. Bodies and Souls, or Spirited Bodies? Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2006.
- Schwarz, Hans. The Human Being: A Theological Anthropology. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2013.
- Shults, Fount LeRon. Reforming Theological Anthropology: After the Philosophical Turn to Relationality. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2003.
- World Council of Churches. Christian Perspectives on Theological Anthropology: A Faith and Order Study Document. Faith and Order Paper 199. Geneva: World Council of Churches, 2005.