Christian Thought (CT)
Christian Thought and History (C)
Four day face-to-face intensive, with subsequent online component
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Examine some basic similarities and differences between concepts underlying theological doctrines within a Westernised Christian tradition and the formalised spiritual teachings of a variety of Indigenous wisdom traditions.
- Analyse and research how Indigenous traditions can inform and nurture Indigenous Christian faith expressions.
- Interpret and critique Biblical narratives within Indigenous cultural contexts thereby creating a framework for understanding their theological contribution for Indigenous Christians.
- Appraise key issues in the intersection of Christian doctrines (systematics) and Indigenous contexts.
- Apply theology to the practical day-to-day realities of Indigenous life.
- Online forum (1,000 words) (20%)
- Presentation (1,500 words) (20%)
- Book review (2,000 words) (20%)
- Presentation – Journal (3,000 words) (40%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Deverell, Garry Worete. Gondwana Theology: A Trawloolway Man Reflects on Christian Faith. Sydney, Australia: Morning Star Publishing, 2018.
- Jacobs, Adrian. Aboriginal Christianity – the Way It Was Meant to Be. Belleville, ON: Unpublished Manuscript, 1998.
- Kidwell, Clara Sue, Homer Noley, and George E. Tinker. A Native American Theology. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2001.
- Langton, Marcia, Welcome to Country: A Travel Guide to Indigenous Australia. Melbourne: Hardy-Grant Publishing, 2018.
- Pearson, Noel, Up from the Mission. Melbourne: Black Inc., 2009.
- Rainbow Spirit Elders. Rainbow Spirit Theology: Towards an Australian Aboriginal theology. Victoria: Harper Collins Religious, 1997.
- Sanneh, Lamin O. Whose Religion is Christianity? The Gospel Beyond the West. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2003.
- Sedmak, Clemens. Doing Local Theology: A Guide for Artisans of a New Humanity. Faith and Cultures Series. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2002.
- Tiénou, Tite. ‘World Christianity and Theological Reflection’. Pages 37–51, in Globalizing Theology: Belief and Practice in an Era of World Christianity, ed. Craig Ott and Harold A. Netland. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2006.
- Tinker, George E. Spirit and Resistance: Political Theology and American Indian Liberation. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2004.
- Woodley, Randy. Shalom and the Community of Creation: An Indigenous Vision. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2012.