Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Explain McClendon’s methodology for using biography as theology;
- Apply that methodology in the study of several biographies;
- Discuss critically the character of faith as seen in the life and work of one major theologian;
- Identify possible implications for their own lives, as a source for theological reflection;
- Critically discuss the relation between lived experience and the formulation of theological ideas and systems, with specific attention to one writer or doctrine.
- Seminar paper (1,000 words total) (20%)
- Book review (1,500 words) (20%)
- Essay (3,500 words) (60%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- McClendon, J Biography as theology, 2nd Ed. Philadelphia, PA: Trinity Press International, 2002.
- Balmer, Randall, Redeemer: the life of Jimmy Carter. New York: Basic Books, 2014.
- Bethge, E Dietrich Bonhoeffer London: Collins, 1970.
- Busch, E Karl Barth. His life from letters and autobiographical texts. London: SCM, 1976.
- Caldwell, Elizabeth, A Mysterious Mantle: The biography of Hulda Niebuhr. Cleveland, OH: Pilgrim Press, 1992.
- Carson, Clayborne (ed.), The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr. London: Little, Brown & Co., 1999.
- Confoy, Maryanne Morris West: Literary Maverick. Milton, Queensland: John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
- Fowler, J, Lovin, R et. al, Trajectories in faith. Nashville, TN: Abingdon, 1980.
- Lipsey, Roger, Hammarskjöld: A Life. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press, 2013.
- Moltmann, J A Broad Place: An Autobiography, Minneapolis, MN: Augsburg Fortress Press, 2007.
- Pauck, W & Pauck, M Paul Tillich: His life and Thought, Vol. 1, London: Collins, 1977.
- Pidwell, Harold, A Gentle Bunyip: the Athol Gill story, West Lakes, South Australia: Seaview Press, 2007.
- Rudolph, Ivan John Flynn: Of flying doctors and frontier faith. North Blackburn, Victoria: Dove Publications, 1996.
- Schlingensiepen, Ferdinand Dietrich Bonhoeffer 1906 – 1945: Martyr, Thinker, Man of Resistance. London: T & T Clark, 2010.
- Sobrino, Jon and Martin-Baro, Ignacio (eds.), Voice of the Voiceless: Archbishop Oscar Romero. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Press, 1985.
- Spink, Kathryn, Mother Teresa (Revised Edition), New York: HarperSanFrancisco, 2011.
- Stone, Elaine Murray, Dorothy Day: Champion of the poor. New York: Paulist Press, 2004.
- Webb, V Florence Nightingale: the making of a radical theologian, St Louis: Chalice Press, 2002