Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- articulate a theology of the church, drawing upon both biblical and extra-biblical sources;
- outline and discuss a theology of the church’s proclamation activities in Baptism, Holy Communion, and Preaching;
- discuss critically the ‘priesthood’ of all Christians and the nature of ‘ordained ministry’ in relation to the mission and life of God in the world;
- evaluate, on theological criteria, contemporary models of the church; and
- engage in a critical and integrative manner with key ecclesiological texts.
- Seminar paper (2,000 words total) (40%)
- Essay (4,000 words) (60%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Alston, Wallace M. The Church of the Living God: A Reformed Perspective. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2002.
- Badcock, Gary D. The House Where God Lives: Renewing the Doctrine of the Church for Today. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2009.
- Bloesch, Donald G. The Church: Sacraments, Worship, Ministry, Mission. Leicester: InterVarsity Press, 2002.
- Bonhoeffer, Dietrich. Life Together and Prayerbook of the Bible. Translated by Daniel W. Bloesch and James H. Burtness. Edited by Geoffrey B. Kelly. Vol. 5, Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works. Minneapolis, MN: Augsburg Fortress, 1996.
- Colwell, John. Promise and Presence: An Exploration in Sacramental Theology. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2011.
- Flett, John G. Apostolicity: The Ecumenical Question in World Christian Perspective. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2016.
- Healy, Nicholas M. Church, World and the Christian Life: Practical-Prophetic Ecclesiology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Hoekendijk, Johannes Christiaan. The Church Inside Out. Translated by Isaac C. Rottenberg. London: SCM Press, 1967.
- Robert W. Jenson, Visible Words: The Interpretation and Practice of Christian Sacraments. Philadelphia, PA: Fortress, 1978.
- Küng, Hans. The Church. Translated by Ray Ockenden and Rosaleen Ockenden. London: Burns and Oates, 1992.
- Moltmann, Jürgen. The Church in the Power of the Spirit: A Contribution to Messianic Ecclesiology. Translated by Margaret Kohl. London: SCM, 1977.
- Volf, Miroslav. After our Likeness: The Church as the Image of the Trinity. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1998.
- World Council of Churches. The Nature and Mission of the Church: A Stage on the Way to a Common Statement, Faith and Order Paper 198. Geneva: World Council of Churches, 2005.
- Zizioulas, John D. Being as Communion: Studies in Personhood and the Church. Crestwood, NY: St Vladimir’s Seminary Press, 1985.