Unit offered alternatively as: CH9004W
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- identify the main political, social, and cultural factors that gave rise to the Baptist movement;
- outline key features of the Baptist heritage and trace their historical development throughout the world;
- critique some of the reasons for diversity among Baptists in Britain, North America, Australia, and other selected parts of the world;
- critically evaluate factors leading to controversies among modern Baptists and assess their impact upon selected Baptist communities;
- analyse the influence of Baptist history and belief upon personal and professional life; and
- respond critically and constructively to historical and theological themes identified in the unit.
- Seven online forum posts (1,500 words total) (25%)
- One tutorial paper (1,500 words) (25%)
- One essay (3,000 words) (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Beasley-Murray, Paul. Radical Believers: the Baptist Way of Being the Church. Didcot: Baptist Union of Great Britain, 1992.
- Bebbington, David W. Baptists Through the Centuries. Waco: Baylor University Press, 2010.
- Brackney, William H. (ed.). Historical Dictionary of the Baptists, 2nd edn. Lanham: Scarecrow Press, 2009.
- Chute, Anthony L. et al. The Baptist Story: From English Sect to Global Movement. Nashville: B&H Publishing, 2015.
- Cupit, Tony et al. ‘From five barley loaves’: Australian Baptists in Global Mission 1864–2010. Preston: Mosaic Press, 2013.
- Fiddes, Paul S. Tracks and Traces: Baptist Identity in Church and Theology. Carlisle: Paternoster, 2003.
- Johnson, Robert E. A Global Introduction to Baptist Churches. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Hayden, Roger. English Baptist History and Heritage. Revd edn .Didcot: Baptist Union of Great Britain, 2005.
- Haymes, Brian et al. On Being the Church: Revisioning Baptist Identity. Milton Keynes: Paternoster Press, 2008.
- Holmes, Stephen R. Baptist Theology. London: T&T Clark, 2012
- Leonard, Bill J. Baptist Ways: A History. Valley Forge: Judson Press, 2003.
- Lumpkin, William L. (ed.). Baptist confessions of Faith. 2nd revd edn. Valley Forge: Judson, 2011.
- Manley, Ken R. From Woolloomooloo to ‘eternity’. 2 Vols. Carlisle: Paternoster, 2006.
- McBeth, H. Leon (ed.). A Sourcebook for Baptist Heritage. Nashville: Broadman, 1990.
- Randall, Ian M. et al. Baptist Identities: International Studies from the Seventeenth to the Twentieth Century. Milton Keynes: Paternoster, 2006.
- Rees, Frank (ed.). Baptist Identity into the Twenty-first Century. Parkville: Whitley College, 2016.
- Williams, Michael et al. Turning Points in Baptist History. Macon: Mercer University Press, 2008.
- Wright, Nigel G. Free Church, Free State: The Positive Baptist Vision. Milton Keynes: Paternoster, 2005.