Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Understand and evaluate the origins and development of some key terms, fields, and themes in theological studies
- Identify and explain number of critical events and persons in the history of Christian thought
- Demonstrate skills in critically evaluating theological arguments, both individually and in conversation with others
- Articulate and defend some important influences in their own approach to theology
- Exhibit critical and self-directed learning in, and research for, postgraduate theological study
- Online Forum (1,500 words) (25%)
- Two short tests (1,500 words) (25%)
- One 4,000 word essay (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Barth, Karl. Evangelical Theology: An Introduction. Translated by Grover Foley. Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1979.
- Chan, Simon. Grassroots Asian Theology: Thinking the Faith from the Ground Up. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2014.
- Coakley, Sarah. God, Sexuality, and the Self: An Essay ‘On the Trinity’. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- Evans, James H. We Have Been Believers: An African-American Systematic Theology. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2012.
- Ford, David. Theology: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1999.
- Hart, Trevor A. Faith Thinking: The Dynamics of Christian Theology. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1995.
- McClendon Jr., James William. Systematic Theology, Volume 2: Doctrine. Nashville, TN: Abingdon, 1994.
- McGrath, Alister E. Christian Theology: An Introduction. 5th ed., Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2010.
- Migliore, Daniel L. Faith Seeking Understanding: An Introduction to Christian Theology. 3rd ed., Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2014.
- Morse, Christopher. Not Every Spirit: A Dogmatics of Christian Disbelief. 2nd ed., Valley Forge, PA: Trinity Press, 2008.
- The Rainbow Spirit Elders. Rainbow Spirit Theology: Toward an Australian Aboriginal Theology. 2nd ed., Hindmarsh: ATF Press, 2012.
- Sölle, Dorothee. Thinking About God: An Introduction to Theology. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2016.