Unit offered alternatively as: CH3025W
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- articulate a holistic understanding of Bonhoeffer’s often controversial theology;
- outline the major influences upon Bonhoeffer’s theology;
- analyse the relationship between Bonhoeffer’s theology and his ecclesial and political engagements; and
- describe the mutual significance of systematic theology and church history in relation to Bonhoeffer’s works as an example of broader applicability.
- One seminar paper (1,000 words) (25%)
- One book review (1,000 words) (25%)
- One essay (2,500 words) (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Bethge, Eberhard. Dietrich Bonhoeffer: A Biography. Translated by Eric Mosbacher, Peter Ross, Betty Ross, Frank Clarke and William Glen-Doepel. Revised ed. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2000.
- Bonhoeffer, Dietrich. Discipleship. Translated by B. Green and R. Krauss. Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works. Edited by G. B. Kelly, J. D. Godsey, B. Green and R. Krauss. Vol. 4, Minneapolis, MN: Fortress, 2000.
- ———. Ethics. Translated by Reinhard Krauss, Charles C. West and Douglas W. Scott. Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works. Edited by Clifford J. Green. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress, 2005.
- ———. Letters and Papers from Prison. Translated by Isabel Best, Lisa E. Dahill, Reinhard Krauss and Nancy Lukens. Edited by John W. de Gruchy. Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works, Vol. 8. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2010.
- ———. No Rusty Swords: Letters, Lectures and Notes 1928–1936 From the Collected Works, Volume I. Translated by John Bowden and Eberhard Bethge. London: Collins, 1970.
- Clements, Keith. Bonhoeffer and Britain. London: Churches Together in Britain and Ireland, 2006.
- Clements, Keith. W. The SPCK Introduction to Bonhoeffer. London: SPCK, 2010.
- de Gruchy, John W., ed. The Cambridge Companion to Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1999.
- Green, Clifford J., and Michael P. DeJonge, eds. The Bonhoeffer Reader. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2013.
- Pugh, Jeffrey C. Religionless Christianity: Dietrich Bonhoeffer in Troubled Times. London: T&T Clark, 2008.
- Schlingensiepen, Ferdinand. Dietrich Bonhoeffer 1906–1945: Martyr, Thinker, Man of Resistance. Translated by Isabel Best. London: T&T Clark, 2010.
- Scholder, Klaus. The Churches and the Third Reich. Volume 1: Preliminary History and the Time of Illusions, 1918–1934. Translated by John Bowden. London: SCM Press, 1987.
- ———. The Churches and the Third Reich. Volume 2: The Year of Disillusionment, 1934 – Barmen and Rome. Translated by John Bowden. London: SCM Press, 1988