Systematic Theology (CT)
Christian Thought and History (C)
Whitley College view location >
20 sessions throughout 2019
Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Assess differing conceptions of the Kingdom of God, drawing upon biblical texts and theological perspectives.
- Identify the personal, social, and ethical consequences envisioned by the ‘Good News’ of the Kingdom of God.
- Engage theologically with aspects of culture in light of themes developed in this unit.
- Demonstrate and critically reflect upon creative responses to contemporary contexts that are informed and transformed by the ‘Good News’.
- Two tutorial papers (750 words each) (40%)
- One reading log (1,000 words) (20%)
- One major essay (1,500 words) (40%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Berry, R. J. The Care of Creation: Focusing Concern and Action. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2000.
- Burghardt, W. Justice: A Global Adventure. Maryknoll: Orbis, 2004.
- Christian, J. God of the Empty-handed: Poverty, Power and the Kingdom of God. Monrovia: MARC, 1999.
- Stevens, R. P. The Other Six Days. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1999.
- Goheen, M. W., and C. G. Bartholomew. Living at the Crossroads: An Introduction to Christian Worldview. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2008.
- Gordon, G. What if you got Involved?: Taking a Stand against Social Injustice. Carlisle: Paternoster, 2003.
- Holt, S. C. God Next Door: Spirituality and Mission in the Neighbourhood. Brunswick East: Acorn, 2007.
- Malina, B. J. The Social Gospel of Jesus: The Kingdom of God in Mediterranean Perspective. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2001.
- Sider, R. Good News and Good Works: A Theology for the Whole Gospel. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2005.
- Snyder, H. A Kingdom Manifesto: Calling the Church to Live under God’s Reign. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1985.
- Stassen, G. H., and D. P. Gushee. Kingdom Ethics: Following Jesus in Contemporary Context. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2003.
- Wright, N. T. Evil and the Justice of God. London: SPCK, 2006.