Upon successful completion of this unit, it is expected that students will be able to:
- Articulate an understanding of Jesus based upon biblical references and a variety of historical conceptions
- Evaluate, on theological criteria, a number of contemporary descriptions of Jesus
- Outline and discuss a theology of Jesus that is relevant in the 21st Century.
- One 750 word film review (25%)
- One 750 word book report (25%)
- One 1,500 word theological essay (50%)
Set texts recommended for purchase are highlighted in blue
- Borg, M. and Wright, N. T. The Meaning of Jesus: Two Visions. New York: Harper Collins, 1999.
- Lohrey, A. Voting for Jesus (Quarterly Essay- Issue 22, 2006).
- McLaren, B. The Secret Message of Jesus: Uncovering the Truth That Could Change Everything. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2006.
- Matera, F. J. New Testament Christology. Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 1996.
- Pelikan, J. Jesus Through the Centuries: His Place in the History of Culture. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1985.
- Pinsky, M. I. and Campolo, T. The Gospel According to the Simpsons: The Spiritual Life of the World’s Most Animated Family. Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2001.
- Wright, N. T. Following Jesus: Biblical Reflections on Discipleship. Grand Rapids: William B Eerdmans, 1997.
- Yancey, P. The Jesus I Never Knew. Grand Rapids: Zondervan Publishing House, 1995.