Rowan has been focused upon questions of spiritual formation and faith development in young people for almost two decades. Having begun his professional life as a tutor and research assistant at Monash University, he completed a Masters in Christian Studies from Regent College, Vancouver. Following a number of years as a youth and young adults pastor, Rowan established Tabor College’s youth work program and coordinated Year in the Son.
As Team Leader of Whitley College’s NEXT program, Rowan works to provide emerging and young adults with a unique experience of personal development and spiritual formation within an accredited setting. He is also engaged in PhD research, exploring the experiences of young people amidst a faith transition or crisis and the constructive responses we can make as companions, ministries and institutions.
Together with his wife Kirra, Rowan lives in Melbourne with three energetic young children who keep life suitably animated.
- PhD Candidate, University of Divinity. “Changing Faith: The experience and resolution of disruptive episodes in the faith of Christian emerging adults”
- Masters of Christian Studies, Regent College, Vancouver.
- BComm (Hons.) Strategic Management, Monash University, Melbourne.
- Certificate (IV) in Training and Assessment (TAA40104) KAL Multimedia Training, Melborune.
Most Recent Publications:
- Lewis, Rowan. ‘Constructing Who I Am : Exploring the Contribution of Religion and Spirituality to Younger Peoples’ Identity ’ In Phil Daughtry & Stuart Devenish (Eds.) Spirituality in Youth Work: new vocabularies, concepts and practices. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing (2016).
- Cronshaw, D., Lewis, R., Wilson, S., ‘Haemorrhaging Faith,’ Australian eJournal of Theology, Vol 23, No 1, 2006
- Lewis, Rowan D. “Individuation and faith development in adolescence and emerging adulthood.” St Mark’s Review, No. 224, 2013: I61
- Relevance of Old Testament Ethics for Today’s Church – Minor Thesis, Masters of Christian Studies, Regent College, 2008.
Units Currently Teaching:
- Living the Faith (Undergrad and Postgrad)
- Personal Formation for Generational Ministry (Undergrad and Postgrad)
- Youth Spirituality (last offered in 2018) (Undergrad)
- Developing Theological Insight (NEXT Program)
- Practical Theology – particularly the intersection of social sciences (psychology, sociology, systems theory) with theology.
- Spiritual Formation and Faith Development Theory
- Human / Adolescent Development and the implications for faith, discipleship and ministry
- Ministry praxis to for and with young people in the first third of life – Child, Youth, Young Adult ministry