Richard is an in-home-care chaplain with Baptcare in Victoria, and the coordinator of TransFormation, a 3 year training program provided by the Baptist Union of Victoria and Whitley College for pastors and lay leaders of LOTE churches. This year 80 students are enrolled, 30 of which are working toward a Diploma of Theology through the University of Divinity. Richard has been involved in community development, pastoral ministry, ministry formation and cross-cultural ministry for more than thirty years and holds degrees in agriculture and divinity, a master in environmental science, and a doctorate in eco-theology entitled “Children in the Natural World: a theological reflection upon encounter and wonder”. Richard lived with his family in Indonesia for seven years. His growing interest in therapeutic landscapes and garden design in general, along with the use of sculpture in the landscape, reflects his desire to promote healing and spiritual awareness through engagement within the Natural World. He enjoys gardening and sailing. Married to Anne they have 3 adult children and one grandchild.
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (BSc[Agric]), University of Western Australia
- Bachelor of Divinity (BD), Murdoch University, through the Baptist Theological College of Western Australia.
- Master of Environmental Science (MEnvSc) Monash University
- Doctor of Ministry Studies (DMinStuds), University of Divinity
Thesis Title: Children in the Natural World, A Theological Reflection upon Encounter and Wonder.
- Wonder: Children encountering God in gardening, caring for animals and play in natural areas. Journal of the Australian Association for Mission Studies, December, 2012, 60–67.
- Children in the Natural World: Encounter and Wonder as an Educational Tool for Equipping the Church for Cultural Change in Addressing Climate Change, in Climate Change Cultural Change: Religious Responses and Responsibilities, Edited by Anne Elvey & David Gormley-O’Brien, (Preston, Mosiac Press, 2013)
Units Currently Teaching:
Teaches and oversees Diploma Units for TransFormation:
- English for Theology
- The Church Then and Now
- Leadership in Community and Worship
- God and the World in Biblical Perspective
- Baptist Identity and the Story of the Church
- Word and Spirit: The Mission of Christ
- Learning in Context
- Therapeutic Landscapes in the provision of Spiritual Care